Mold and mildew tend to flourish in moist areas which is why it is not uncommon to find evidence of mold in your window sills. If you’ve ever noticed a slight discoloration in the window, it is probable that you’ll find a buildup of mold in the spaces between the window sill. While mold doesn’t typically feed on the glass of the window, it can leave noticeable damage on wood frames or sills. Most homeowners aren’t even aware there’s evidence of mold until a lot has accumulated, which could cause illness for the members of the home and becomes much more difficult to clean.
Inspect your windows at least 2-3 times a month for mold or mildew and practice these steps to removing mold from the sill:
- Wear gloves, safety glasses, and a mask to prevent ingesting the spores of mold in any way as it could cause illness.
- Place a rag or towel on the floor beneath the window to catch any debris that falls from the window while cleaning.
- Ensure the room is properly ventilated before beginning to clear out mold.
- Mix a solution of 1 part bleach and 3 parts water.
- Using a nylon brush mixed with the bleach solution, scrub the mold from the window sill. Dip the brush in bleach often.
- Use a rag and with fresh water to wipe away the scraped off mold and clean the area.
To prevent the growth of mold, simply clean, wipe, and vacuum the window sill area during your regular cleaning routine. Properly cleaning and maintaining your windows will prevent damage and ensure the longevity of your windows.
If you’re considering replacements windows, contact Thermo Bilt to view their window style guide. Thermo-Bilt Windows & Doors can offer you all of these benefits. Contact them for more information or to obtain a free quote. They service Markham and the GTA area, located at 3790 Victoria Park Ave #203 in Toronto or 16 Esna Park Drive #106 in Markham.
Services include: Window Replacement Services Window Installation Services Door Installation Services Door Replacement Services Planning and Designing Rebates and Financing Support
They’re always able to answer any questions and provide best recommendations for your home’s window and door replacement needs. Click here to get in contact with Thermo-Bilt.