You don’t have to call in the professionals every time you experience an unexpected furnace breakdown. A lot of the common issues that people experience with their furnaces are actually caused by something as simple as changing the furnace filter. So, before you call to schedule a service call, try these simple tips for troubleshooting your furnace issues:
Tip 1: Check to ensure the thermostat is ‘ON’
- Check that the thermostat is ‘ON’ and set to ‘HEAT’ as the thermostat controls are shared with the central AC unit. Believe it or not, this happens!
- Test the thermostat by setting it to 5 degrees higher than the current temperature in the room and listen to whether or not you hear the furnace kick back on.
- Check that the power source of the thermostat has not been interrupted such as, replacing the batteries or checking that the wires have not been frayed or disconnected. Sometimes, it’s not the furnace that needs fixing, it’s the thermostat that has stopped working which could be due to something as simple as replacing or fixing the power source.
Tip 2: Change furnace filters
- A clogged furnace filter could obstruct airflow to the furnace thus forcing the furnace to work twice as hard and potentially breakdown. Change the furnace filter if this is the case.
- The owner’s manual will provide instructions on how to change the filter and what size filter is required.
Tip 3: Check that the natural gas switch is ‘ON’
- You may of turned of the natural gas valve at some point and forgotten to turn it back on. Go to the natural gas meter and check to ensure that the handle is parallel to the gas pipe, which would indicate that the gas valve is open or ON.
For all other furnace repair issues, you may need a professional to diagnose the issues to ensure your safety. Contact the furnace and AC 24-hour repair service at Aire One to schedule an appointment in Markham, Mississauga, London, Barrie, and the Greater Toronto Area.